Warning: This page contains many offensive terms.
Generally, we use an adapted version of Ofcom's rules on offensive language. If there is any doubt, please use your own discretion.
Adapted from: Ofcom
People take into account context, such as the tone and delivery, when assessing whether offensive language is acceptable.
Clear racist and discriminatory language was the most unacceptable overall. Such words were viewed as derogatory, discriminatory and insulting. Many were concerned about them being used at any time, unless they were particularly justified by the context. Many said that discriminatory and racist words were harder hitting, carrying more emotional impact than 'general' swear words.
Sexual terms were seen in a similar way to the stronger general swear words. They were viewed as distasteful and often unnecessary, but people said they found them more acceptable if used after the watershed, when they would be more prepared.
Over any content across Meridian, the following phrases are banned, including any possible derivation or word of equivalent meaning.
General swear words:
- Beef curtains
- Cunt (only where used in a derogatory manner)
- Pussy (only where used in a derogatory manner)
- Snatch (as a noun)
Discrimination against religion:
- Prod (when used as an insult, not when used as a verb)
Discrimination against sexual orientation:
- Batty boy
- Bender (only when used in a derogatory manner)
- Bum boy
- Chi-chi man
- Dyke (except when voluntarily used by a lesbian, or at the request of one)
- Faggot (except when voluntarily used by a gay man, or at the request of one)
- Gay (only when used in a derogatory way or to mean something bad or unimpressive)
- Lezza/lesbo (except when voluntarily used by a lesbian)
- Muff diver
- Nancy (except as someone's name)
- Queer (only when used in a derogatory way)
- Shirt lifter
Discrimination against gender identity:
- Chick with a dick
- Gender bender
Discrimination against disability:
- retard (except when used in a clearly humourous manner)
- window licker
Discrimination against race and ethnicity:
- Choc ice